Thursday, June 26, 2008

Bar Girls

Hi,

I'm so glad that I've had the chance to update everyone so often. I pray that these opportunities continue to present themselves!

Last night, as mentioned in the previous blog, we went out to the bars. I met a couple of girls in this one bar and sat down and talked with them for a little over 1/2 hour. One was there because she had to support her mom, sister, brothers and 5 year old son back home. She is hoping that she'll meet a good man who will take care of her... when you talk to the girls, 99% of the time, this is what they are hoping for and believing is going to happen from the 'dates' they have. Another girl was visibly upset while speaking with us. She shared with us that she didn't want to be doing this, but that someone was making her do it. She didn't elaborate further, so I'm not certain of the details.

So.... I never thought that I'd say this, but I bought the two girls out of the bar for the night. In order for them to go to dinner with us, I had to pay the mamasan a fee to take them out for the night. Do you know what a girl is valued at in Pattaya? Approximately 300 Baht. 9 US dollars. Our group took them, along with 4 other girls out to dinner and just spent time talking with them and sharing our faith. One of the leaders had a polaroid camera and she took pictures of us with the girls and gave them to the girls to take with them. The girl whom I spoke with said, "I'm so glad to have this photo. Now, when I miss you, I can just look at it." That just about broke me down into tears. The other girl who was so upset early was actually laughing and smiling by the end of the night. I know that we didn't fix their situation, but I pray that God used us to give them some hope that God does love them and He does have a perfect plan for their lives and that no man will ever love them as much as Jesus does. We also went to "Walking Street" last night- the red light district- more details later as I am running out of time.

Today I went with one other girl back to the Tamar Center and we taught one of the bakers how to make pies. We made a pineapple pie today and tomorrow morning we will make a lemon meringue and apple pie and we'll also teach them how to make bread. Then in the afternoon I believe that we are going to the HIV/AIDS hospice to minister to the people who are living there. I'm hoping to go to the Mercy House sometime soon or to the slums to visit the children, but I'm going to trust that God knows what is best for me and where I need to be and if I don't end up going there, then I don't end up going there. I've been taking a TON of pictures, so I'll have pictures to back up everything I've been sharing.

I keep saying it, but, again, this is SUCH a humbling experience. It puts things so much into perspective and makes me realize how much God has blessed me and how just small acts of kindness can go such a long way. Please continue to pray for me and my team and I will continue to keep all of you posted as best I can.

Love to you all!

Julie

0 comments: